Court ordered protection when you need it most.

If you are experiencing violent, threatening, or abusive behaviour you can apply for an Intervention Order to protect you. We can help and support you through the application process to the Magistrates’ Court.

If you are experiencing violence from a family member you can apply for a Family Violence Intervention Order. If there is someone other than a family member who is making you feel unsafe, you can apply for a Personal Safety Intervention Order.

What an Intervention Order does

An Intervention Order outlines certain conditions and rules. The person the Order is made against has to obey these rules. Your Order might prevent a family member or other person from communicating with you or contacting you in any way, committing violence against you or going near or within a certain distance of your home, school or workplace. It can also stop them from finding or trying to find you, watching you or keeping you under surveillance or damaging your property

In your application you can request any other conditions that make you feel safe. The Magistrate will make the final decision about what to include in your Intervention Order.

Interim Intervention Orders

An interim Order is an Order made while you are waiting for your final Order. When you apply for an Intervention Order the Magistrate may make an interim Order straight away if they believe you are not safe and need immediate protection. You can apply for an interim Order without the person who is violent towards you being at Court, or even knowing about the Order. However, the person will be notified of the interim Order after it is made and they will be told the date of the Intervention Order Hearing.

Final Intervention Orders

Your interim Order lasts until a Magistrate makes a final Order. A final Order can only be made once evidence has been heard about the situation. The Magistrate needs to be satisfied that the person you are seeking the Order against has acted in a manner which warrants the Order, and has the potential to do so again.

What happens if someone breaches their Order

If a person acts or allows someone else to act in contravention of their Order, the police can charge them with a criminal offence. If a person contravenes their Intervention Order it is called a “breach”. The Courts take breaches of Intervention Orders very seriously. Usually, under an Intervention Order, a person can not:

  • Get another person to do something for them that is prohibited for them to do under the Order
  • Go against the conditions of the Order in any way

We can help you work out what kind of conditions you need to include on your Intervention Order.