Relationships, children, and finances are a complicated mix. This is what makes family law an area that is best handled with care and sensitivity. Finding the right family lawyer can go a long way to reducing the stress of family law matters, even if times are good.
Whether you need help mediating the breakdown of a marriage, dealing with children’s matters, or setting up a family trust, finding the right family lawyer is essential.
Finding a family lawyer you trust
When looking for a family lawyer, one of the most important factors is whether or not you feel comfortable with them. This may not be your first thought when looking for a family lawyer, but you need to be able to form a strong working relationship with any lawyer. The sensitive nature of family law makes it doubly important that you trust your lawyer and believe that are representing you diligently.
Finding a family lawyer you feel comfortable with can take some time, but you can make it easier for yourself considering a few factors about what kind of person you want to represent you. A lawyer shouldn’t take offense if they are not what you are looking for.
Some factors you should consider are:
- Age – You may feel more comfortable with a lawyer who is older, younger or similar to your own age.
- Gender – Depending on your circumstances, you may want either a male or female lawyer to handle your case.
- Personality – You should get along with your lawyer which means you may want them to have a particular personality type or traits.
A good way to find out if a lawyer is right for you is to have a consultation with them. You can find a law firm that offers free consultations for new clients. This is also a good opportunity to find out about the family lawyer cost.
Experience with family law
Family law is a delicate and specialised area of law, so it’s very important that your lawyer has the necessary experience. They will need to have knowledge of the family law arena as well as how it applies to your particular circumstances. As with any area of law, it is likely that an accredited specialist lawyer will cost more than a lawyer who is not accredited.
When do you need a family lawyer?
There are many services that a family lawyer can help you with. Here are three common examples of how a family lawyer can help you:
- At the beginning of a new relationship where one party has significant assets and the other does not. You should engage the services of a family lawyer to prepare a Binding Financial Agreement. This can also be done during and after the relationship.
- Your relationship has broken down, and you and your partner have come to an agreement about property settlement. A lawyer can assist you with preparing and submitting Consent Orders to make the agreement legally binding
- You have one child who primarily lives with your ex-partner. There are previous Consent Orders in place that give you access to the child every Wednesday and each alternate weekend. Your ex-partner now wants to move to interstate with your child. You should contact a family lawyer for child custody advice and potentially defend the relocation claim brought by your ex-partner.
Meet the Family Lawyers at Rose
Rose Lawyers have many years of experience helping people with their family law matters. Our family lawyers are experts in handling family matters with care and diligence.
For a free family lawyer consultation, call Rose Lawyers on 03 9878 5222.
Ever wondered what an executor of a Will does, what their rights and responsibilities are, if they can be a beneficiary of a Will and if they charge anything? Drawing…Read more
COVID-19 – Links & Resources For Victims Of Domestic Violence The COVID-19 pandemic social isolation measures to ‘flatten the curve’ are reportingly causing an unprecedented and alarming surge in domestic…Read more